Thursday, October 30, 2014

Soaked Overnight Oats with Almond Milk


Now that I am back to my healthy-life, this is an ideal breakfast for me, because here is how my typical routine goes these mornings: 
  • Alarm at 7:00.
  • Get my @tinyteatox ready, wudoo and then pray Fajr (yep, it's that late now in Europe..the wonders of wintertime).
  • Eat breakfast at 8:00, AND this way I can take my time in the morning as opposed to starting the whole process of preparing something..either my other family members are still sleeping, and I can't put my food processor on..and just slicing-dicing-frying is too time consuming at such a short time gap and at such an hour in the morning. The meal is very nutritious and the chia seeds add the protein and..it fills me up for my 10:30AM gym class, and I finish my breakfast just about 2 hours before the session, which is perfect in my book.
Now..I have only made overnight oats 3 times in my life now, and every time I sort of wing it according to what my taste buds are feeling like at that specific moment (I usually make it around 11PM or midnight, so at that moment I feel like eating it all up and it is a big challenge for me). You can make them, again, in a million different ways, and I suggest you explore all the ways and hashtag me again, so I can try some of them as well, but here is my current to-go version:

You will need:
  • 1 cup of oats (gluten-free if available)
  • 2 tbsp of chia seeds 
  • 2-3 cups of almond milk (or any other plant based milk, or if you have nothing against dairy, then go ahead!)
  • 1 tbsp of linseed 
  • 1-2 tbsp coconut flakes
  • berries of choice (e.g strabwerries, cherries, blueberries <- I would prefer the latter but never manage to find any)
  • 1 smashed banana
  • 1 tsp of maca powder (100% optional) I use it because I have it in my 'Eileen's healthy food department' and I would never eat it as-is, so it is a good supplement to add to foods as such. It is recommended to take a spoonful every day, especially if you have hormonal imbalance, which I do.   

Just combine all these ingredients in a jar, and let them soak overnight. In the morning - just add some optional toppings - I added coconut flakes, goji berries & a spoonful of homemade almond butter. 1 spoonful of sweetener would have worked nicely, or a bit of vanilla extract, but I did not have the latter, and having already added the nut butter and all...I didn't want to turn it into an extreme calorie-bomb with another spoonful of honey.  

Enjoy and tag me in your favorite oatmeal recipes!

Love!

Your Eslimah

No comments:

Post a Comment